pity for the sushi man

By Felicity
There's a little sushi restaurant right next to my building on the lower level. For one reason or another, business isn't all that good. When I pass there are only 1 or 2 customers; on the weekends it's always empty. The owner is a little rosy-cheeked Japanese man in his early fifties with a round face, with creases on his forehead from worrying about not having business. In his desperation, he's lowered the prices on his sushi, and stands on the corner of the street passing out menus with a free soda coupon. I've been there 2 times, and his sushi isn't bad. It isn't really fantastic either, but that shouldn't result in barely any customers. I was walking to work when he recognized me [from this one time I was the only customer, ordered sushi, and realized that I didn't bring my debit card/ any money. I ran back home and down again to pay] He offered me a menu/free drink coupon and I declined, since I wasn't all that fond of soda. Today I went down to get some noodle soup, since it was freezing and rainy and I needed the warmth. When he saw me he was grinning ear to ear, and said hi to me twice as I ordered. There were 3 other customers in there eating sushi. I think he was just happy he felt that his menu passing was working, and he again offered me a free soda coupon. Again, I declined.
I'm contemplating eating there more often now, really just because I feel sorry for the dude. Not that my 10 dollars every week will really sustain his business. It's just he looked so forlorn standing outside in the cold, sad eyes pleading at the passerbyer to take his menu/coupon and visit his restaurant.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?