Waiting for the girls to get ready...

Category: By Felicity
Clubs are one of the loneliest places on earth. Men and women packed in suffocating heat, gyrating to mindless vibrations, looking for something they can take home. Some look for physical gratification, others look for a validation of self worth or attractiveness. Some just want an escape from reality, or want a moment where they can just dance to flashing lights and laugh at drunk friends.

Clubs are also such strange spaces for courtship, hosting primitive and animalistic rituals for mating. It's like watching pigeons waddle in place, displaying their feathers, trying to coax another pigeon, clearly torn between hormones and annoyance, to mate.

Some men are like vultures, watching the giggling girls in their low cut shirts and hiked up skirts, waiting for one to start spilling her drink, start slurring her speech. Gliding in at the opportune moment when her friends aren't watching and lavish her with attention. It's like picking off the weak or dying. Some spend the whole night just observing, out of fear of rejection, hope for some female attention, or because they really don't know what they're doing there, only that they don't want to spend the night alone. Other men are like dogs in heat, ready to grab on to any unsuspecting thigh or behind and start humping away, their definition of dancing.

Women struggle internally between wanting male attention and not wanting to be hounded all night. They enjoy the ego-boost when different men offer to buy the girl drinks or try to dance with her. But sometimes all they want to do is just dance.

I've gone clubbing almost every other weekend for a whole year since I moved here. I always feel sorry for the people there, always wanting, waiting. Attention or physical gratification. I often say I only go so I can exercise [as I never exercise], but the truth is I go clubbing also because I like to be reminded that even if I look stodgy and boring at work, on the weekends I'm the fun-loving, crazy girl that just wants to relax. I don't think people would be able to recognize me at work.



[edit, post clubbing]

http://www.metrolyrics.com/filet-mignon-lyrics-lil-wayne.html

wtf? Does lil wayne KNOW what filet mignon is? I love how misogynistic the music they play in clubs is. I had a great time, aside from 1. Dude bragging about driving drunk to the club. 2. Another dude completely drowning himself in alcohol in hopes that one of the girls will let him stay overnight to make sure he doesn't drive [What the hell?!] 3. Getting groped 4. Having to say goodbye to a friend who's leaving DC for good.

4am is 5 hours past my bedtime. I am such a shrimp :P I don't see how people can handle and enjoy such self-destructive activities, such as staying up way too late and binge drinking.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Martin August 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    wow... you took the words right out of my mouth. nice.
  2. Tom Pescatore August 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    not when you're with me's <3

Something to say?