The search for a new band

Category: By Felicity

I'm still searching for my sound. I'm searching for like-minded musicians that I can see eye-to-eye, that I can work with on musical projects. I need a group that can combine acoustic with techno with industrial with goth with metal. I need people who can play guitar better than me, who can record and produce my music, who can work with me to realize the best of our potentials.

On the search? No luck so far. Boo. Why not? A large number of musical ventures in DC are awfully vanilla. Friggin progressive rock, 80 covers, feel-good bar music. I mean, bar music is great, if you want to be generic. All the good bands? Prob not looking for a new singer. Or are too far to commute to [boo for no car.] My first metal band, and first band in DC, kinda flopped. I liked the music, kinda [ok, the progressions were a little too random for me, and it was a bitch to write melodies and lyrics to insane progressions] but the two people I was working with were fantastic musicians. The drums were prob the best I've ever heard in person, and the guitar was decent. BUT trying to sing over the blasting of the drums and guitar was taking a toll on my voice, and I just wasn't enjoying practice anymore.

I've found 2 bands on craigslist that were in search for a lead singer that managed to catch my interest: Iritis and The Disconnect.
Iritis is a loungy, ethnic fusion band. I'm not an incredible fan of loungy music, and I think their stuff would be incredible if they revved up the drums and added more heavy guitars, but I don't think that's really their thing. Their ethnic flair is intriguing, and their lyrics are pretty good. DC being such a pretentious city, I could see why they'd be relatively popular here. The whole, I'm-an-educated-and-worldly-yuppie-and-I-go-to-expensive-Asian-fusion-restaurants-and-talk-Voltaire-and-Hemingway audience would totally eat this up. I'm supposed to go next Tuesday to Bethesda to audition.

The Disconnect sounds like every other band that's playing on the radio. This is good because it would probably be very popular, and bad because it would seriously sound like everyone else. To make it not sound like everyone else would be highly dependent on how the singer presented the lyrics and melody. I'm sure I could make it sound good, but do I have what it takes to make it not generic?! After Burning Rome sucked me dry of lyrical and melodic creativity [stupid awkward progressions...] I am having difficulty mustering up the motivation to write songs to pre-determined chord progressions, albeit this time its much easier, since the songs have some recognizable pattern.

The question is, do I settle for bands I'm not ecstatic about, or do I risk dragging on with my stagnant creative attempts, and try to search for a band myself, one member at a time? If I did the one member at a time, the chances are I'll be disappointed [I've tried individual jamming sessions. Sometimes it just doesn't work] AND my Asian band will kill me because I'm cheating on them by creating another band [not that finding another band to sing in is much better, although at least I singing, rather than playing guitar]. The Asian band is a nice side project. I'm realizing that if it were to be my main project, I may have to shoot myself.

If I do find a new band, this will be my 5th band since HS. The journey never ends...
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Tom Pescatore August 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    hey...dont insult hemingway like that...
  2. Felicity August 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM
    Thanks for following, Jennifer :)

    Tom, you know Hemingway is pretentious :P

Something to say?